The Result of Me Cutting Up a Quilt
Last week, if you read my blog post, you knew I was about to head to the cutting table and cut up a perfectly good quilt which only needed binding to finish - well I did it - yes I cut it up into strips and it was more fun than it should have been! ..... let me also say here, that last week, in one of my groups - unrelated - there was mention of 'falling down a rabbit hole'. I think this is a great description of what happened with this project too.
But first, here is the original quilt....
... and here is the new one. You'll notice I did trim back the outside border before I started.
Wow, what a difference, right?
There was quite a lot of work determining where to cut the strips and how wide to make them - you can see how the widths vary,... then determining how to jagger them up and down the area.... and to decide on what size to make the finished piece. I'm not going to explain all that here, but it's good to know this can be determined all before starting to cut so less chance of this going wrong. I am going to add the whole process to my online workshop "Getting Started with Quilt Art" (hopefully over the next week or so) so if you'd like to know how to create this (as well as many other creative ideas), use this coupon code to get 25% off the workshop: 'quiltart' (note: this only good for a limited time as this will be invalid once I get the videos installed).... and of course, I'm there to help you with all those calculations should you need it.
One thing I will mention if you are doing this, remember to allow for seam allowances. This will mean you lose some of the original quilt, but on the plus side, that's a great way to cut out any small imperfections.
And also, you need a good amount of background fabric (which again can be determined with a few calculations). This is the fabric I used for this sample. I had a meter of it (just over a yard) so that will give you an idea for this quilt which will end up approximately 34" x 23". I choose this fabric because the glittery stars were similar colors to the original quilt... a little bit difficult to depict in the photo.
.... and I do want to add, this piece isn't finished yet as you can see, but it will be because I love the effect it created..... So that leads me to why the description of 'falling down a rabbit hole' is so fitting.... I simply ran out of time to do the quilting and that's because I had another idea for another quilt using this same method, but this time, I took it one step further and a much better idea. All will be revealed next week so stay tuned!
PS: I have to admit, I had so much fun with this.... and I urge you to give it a try whether that be in my classroom or on your own.