Today I did some experimenting with photos. Someone some time ago had told me how you could melt plastic over photos to help prevent them from fading when adding them to some sort of quilt art, so I decided to give it a try. I printed out a few photos of my grandchildren to get started.
I sandwiched a photo between two sheets of plastic. I had my Teflon sheet on both sides to protect my ironing board and iron.
I soon learned the glossy paper wasn't a good thing! It didn't like the hot iron too much so for my second attempt, I just melted around the edges of the photo rather than over it.
The plastic warped and the ink ran a little too and became splotchy. I wasn't impressed with the result so instead I used the sewing machine to stitch the plastic around the edge of the photo. This was much better in my opinion. The photo lay flat and was crisp and clear. I left just an eighth of an inch plastic from the stitching and cut the rest off.
I wanted to make a frame for my photos so decided to use corner triangles to hold the photos in place. This makes it real easy to add photos and remove them or replace them at a later date.
It is very simple to do. My photos were 3" x 3 1/2" so I based the background on a 4" x 4 1/2" piece of fabric and made 1 1/2" corner triangles. I made the border strips bigger than I needed as I had an idea planned. I cut the top and bottom strips 2 1/2" wide and the sides 2" wide.
The first thing I did was fold the 1 1/2" square in half to make triangles. The fold creates the long side of the triangle which is the side that is exposed. The other raw edges get sewn into the seam. I placed them in each corner of the 4" x 4 1/2" back and basted them in place. Wow they blend in really well!
Then I added the overly large borders.
I did that because I wanted to have the photos positioned on an angle rather than straight up and down. To do this, I cut the block on an angle to the border seam. See in the photo how they are not parallel. I cut my block at 5 1/2" x 7 1/2".
This is how the photos look in them. One tilts one way and the other tilts opposite.
I made four blocks altogether, two white and two black and sewed them in opposite corners.
Then I added a 2" border in black, layered it and quilted it. I kept the quilting simple and just stippled around the photo area being careful not to stitch over the corner tabs. I used a white rayon thread.
Here is how my finished frame turned out.
I think the blocks a little bit large so I'll have to remember that for next time. Maybe 4 1/2" x 6" finish would have been better.