Machine Quilting Day 32
I've been back in the pantry. Today I crumbed a chicken breast for my dinner and noticed the wheat design on the breadcrumb container. I thought this would make a good quilting design.
I knew it wasn't going to be easy to stitch straight off without some practice so I used a pencil and paper to get the design idea. I drew the design, starting up the left side. This wasn't so bad but for some reason I had trouble with the right side (top side in the photos).
I also realized I needed to make the shapes a little rounder so I tried again on paper. This time I alternated from side to side to make the design rather than going up one side and then the other. That worked better, but I still had a little trouble on the right side. Improving though.
I decided there was only one thing for it and that was to try stitching it. My first attempt wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Again, the right side gave me a little trouble.
My second attempt was much better. The shapes were forming better and I noticed I naturally made them reduce in size as I worked my way up.
Now it was time to repeat that and add a leaf. That ended a bit out of line and didn't look good at all.
So this time I decided to pencil in the lines so I had a guideline of the direction I needed.
I'm getting better but still not quite there. I added more. This time I did the wheat head first and added the leaf second, that worked much better.
One more attempt. Two wheat heads and a leaf.
This could make a cute design in a fall quilt to fill in a space or the center of a block. It does need some practice though.