My January Stitch Along Week 5

Posted by Ruth on 31 January 2016 | 2 Comments

Tags:

Last week I made a back to add to my project so that I could turn it into a book cover, so this weekend I proceeded to make that. I won't go into the details about the actual making here because they can be found in my free class at academyofquilting.com. However I did construct it slightly different. Let me explain.

First, because I had made the front before deciding to make it into a cover, it meant that I my project wasn't large enough to cover both sides of the book so I needed to make the back separately. Once made I cut both sections to size, adding about 1/2" all around for seams and turning. I cut two inside flap sections which I added to make two sleeves, one for the front and one for the back of my book.

back and front covers for book

Having the two separate sections made it easy to join down the spine and make a snug fit. I slid the sleeves on the book to measure the seam allowance.

covers on book ready for spine

Then I pinched the two sections together to determine how wide to make the seam - just over 1/4" will work.

pinch fabrics together to find seam line

I removed the book again and peeled back the batting and inside so I could sew just the outer fabric.... this will help reduce bulk as I can trim the batting flush.

sew single layer of fabric together to reduce bulk

I finished by using a zigzag stitch along the raw seam allowance that is exposed and turned under then stitched down the seam along the spine.

neatened raw edges of inner seam and stitch down spine

One thing to note... when you have a book where the pages are attached all the way along the spine, you need to slide it in with the seams on the outside. This is what I needed to do with this book. If the pages are not attached to the edged - say stapled in - then the seam can sit neatly underneath them and less bulk shows on the front.

seams pushed to front

So my cover is complete and I even started writing in my first list!

book cover is finished with note book inside first list in note pad

Gin sent in some photos too. She made her project into a block caddy. This turned out really well and she even learned a few things along the way. Good job Gin!

Gin's Block caddy closed Gin's block caddy open - inside Gin's block caddy open - outside

Gin's Block Caddy

quilting classes available at the Academy of Quilting


Get this pattern FREE

Quilt Designers Blog Ring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com

Post your comment

Comments

  • Thanks Gin, I really like your caddy too! It turned out adorable. I cannot wait to get started on the next challenge, whatever that may be!

    Posted by Ruth, 03/02/2016 9:34am (4 years ago)

  • Ruth, I love what you made with your lists project. It's interesting and rewarding to discover what we can come up with in these stitch along projects. Thank you, Gin

    Posted by Gin, 03/02/2016 8:53am (4 years ago)

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments