My October Stitch Along Week 3
Stitching is always my favorite part and usually I tend to use free-motion to attach applique pieces but this time, I decided to fall back on the old familiar blanket stitching. I haven't done this in a long time, but I figured seeing as these blocks were going to be "baby" handled, they need to have very secure edges. Because of this, I decided the original variegated threads I'd selected were probably not ideal. I found some others to match the fabrics. I love these bright colors!
So first up was to blanket stitch the applique shapes. I like stitching through layers for this so technically it quilts the block at the same time. The batting and backing also act as stabilizers to support the stitches. I chose a small blanket stitch of dimensions 2 wide by 2 length on my Bernina. I'm not sure what that is for other machines but it's perfect for this size applique on mine. I started with the red and stitched all the pieces in place.
I then did the same for the lion block.
I thought, to really make the applique stand out I should outline all the edges with free-motion straight stitch. I did using black thread to do it...
I stitched very close to the edge of the blanket stitch and also added in any extra stitching lines like the spring, corner line on the box and eyes on Jack.
Oops, but I almost forgot the mouth! He must have a smile...
I repeated this for the lion and think he turned out real cute too!
I added the dots with a pigma pen to finish off.
Now all I have left is the quilting and somehow I need to add in something "baby". I was really stumped here. I wasn't sure what to do. I certainly didn't want to take away from the cute appliques and I didn't particularly want to add a border of any kind to add some fancy quilting.
So, instead of making a quilting design around "baby" I decided to use a "baby" blue thread. I did think about using the pale baby variegated thread I'd selected in week 1, however since then, I'd started using it on another project and I didn't want to risk running out so I went for this plain blue thread instead.
I used a medium sized stipple to quilt down all the background on both blocks. Here's my jack-in-a-box J block...
and here is my lion L block...
This has definitely been fun!