Have you cut strips the modern way?
Have you cut strips the modern way? It's not about using a ruler but rather cutting without one. Sound daunting? Well, it really isn't that hard. I created a short video to show you how easy it actually is.
There are a few points I'd like to mention first...
- 1: Always start by pressing your fabric just like you would when using a ruler
- 2: Use your mat to roughly align the size strip you want.
- 3: Eyeball the line. Place the rotary cutter at the starting mark and look at the finishing mark, then roll the blade toward where your eye is looking.
- 4: The fabric will move slightly as you push the rotary cutter into is so after starting you will need to hold the fabric to the side or behind the rotary cutter. NEVER put your hand near the cutting line.... NEVER, NEVER cut toward your fingers or hands!
- 5: The shorter the cutting distant, the straighter your strips will be
- 6: You can cut two or more layers at once
Here is the video to show you me cutting 3" strips:
It is so fast to cut strips like this. They are uneven which creates interest and movement in your quilt. This is the technique I used to create my latest quilt Woodland Foxes. It really does create a more realistic background don't you think?
I haven't tried cutting a traditional quilt block this way but I bet it would be a fun project to try! Are you willing to give it a go?
For more information & updates be sure to sign up for our newsletter
You can unsubscribe anytime!